Doctors & Clinics
Access IAMAT’s International Network of Trusted English Speaking Doctors
Although you have taken all the steps to ensure a healthy trip, being sick away from home is a daunting experience. Our role is to help relieve some of your stress and to provide moral support from afar by coordinating qualified doctors and mental health practitioners from around the world who are committed to providing the highest standards of care to travellers.
We put you in touch with trusted medical providers so you can expect the same care that you get back home. Our members use our Medical Directory with confidence knowing that they can count on professional medical services, in their own language.
How Does It Work?
- Contact the participating IAMAT clinic in your area to make an appointment. Phone numbers, emails, websites, and mobile numbers are provided.
- Present your IAMAT membership card prior to the consultation to alert staff about the discounted rates for members.
- Pay the affiliated health provider directly based on IAMAT's consultation rates.
lAMAT members can expect to pay up to a maximum amount on the rates listed below for the first consultation provided by private practice doctors. These rates do not apply to hospitals and clinics which will charge IAMAT members their standard consultation fees.
- Regular office / Clinic calls = US$100
- House / Hotel calls = US$150
- Night calls (from 9:00pm to 9:00am) = US$170
- Sundays and local holidays = US$170
These fees do not apply to laboratory procedures such as blood tests, ECGs, X-rays, surgical procedures, hospitalization or any other expenses incurred.
Ten Reasons Why Travellers Use the IAMAT Medical Directory
1. Reliable doctors and mental health practitioners that speak your language.
- IAMAT affiliated health providers are licensed in their country of residence and are members in good standing within their field of practice. The majority have received post-graduate training in North America or Europe and they are all fluent in English. Many are fluent in more than two languages.
2. Professional care at an affordable price.
- Our doctors charge IAMAT members based on a maximum fee schedule.
3. Direct relationship with the health provider, there is no third-party involved.
- You pay the clinic directly at the time of your consultation. IAMAT practitioners are committed to helping travellers with any health needs, including chronic conditions. There are no restrictions to deal with.
4. Providing both emergency and non-critical care
- Our health providers are available for both urgent and non-emergency situations. Being able to rely on a qualified doctor or mental health practitioner during a stressful situation allows you to better cope with the situation at hand.
5. Get referrals to specialists and reporting back to your own doctor.
- IAMAT health care providers will refer you to a specialist in any field, including dentists. Accessing the help of a local physician who is an expert in infectious diseases, or who can refer you to a cardiologist or trauma expert for immediate care gets you on the road to recovery faster.
6. Help navigating the local health system.
- Our doctors and mental health practitioners will advocate on your behalf and help you with any issues that may arise during your experience with the health system of your destination country. They fill a useful role in your recovery plans.
7. Knowledgeable about local health risks.
- Seeking care from a highly qualified physician who is expertly trained to handle diseases and infections that are well known locally, but seldom seen or experienced in your home country, can be life saving at times.
8. Compliance with international health standards.
- The doctor and mental health practitioner is vetted by us, an organization with more than 50 years of experience. Affiliated clinics are inspected regularly to ensure the highest hygiene standards.
9. Respecting ethical standards.
- IAMAT physicians and mental health practitioners volunteer to be part of our international network; they do not pay a membership fee to be listed in our Medical Directory allowing us to maintain strict ethical standards.
10. Current and up-to-date contact information.
- We take care to ensure that our Medical Directory contains current contact information. The online version is updated as soon as changes are reported and the hard copy version is printed once a year. We currently list reliable doctors and mental health practitioners in more than 90 countries and 350 cities, and our network is growing.
November 27, 2013
August 30, 2013
July 31, 2013