It’s a new year and our team is growing!
We’re seeking a Health Writer and Research Specialist to join our team in Toronto, Canada. This opportunity is for a health communicator with excellent writing skills and experience with medical literature. Join our small team and help make the world a healthier place to travel.
Job Description: Health Writer and Research Specialist
As IAMAT’s Health Writer and Research Specialist, you will develop and implement IAMAT’s travel health content strategy. You will also create resources, and enhance existing materials, for travellers to promote responsible travel through health – particularly helping travellers to plan a healthy trip, prevent injuries, and reduce the spread of infectious diseases in communities abroad and back home. Deliverables will support IAMAT’s mission to make the world a healthier place to travel.
You will work in a collaborative environment and will be supervised by the Executive Director.
IAMAT’s Health Writer and Research Specialist is:
- Experienced in health communications, literature research, or health promotion.
- Persuasive; a strategic writer with exceptional editorial judgement.
- Committed to researching and producing quality work; attentive to details.
- Creative and a self-starter; can work independently and takes initiative without being prompted.
- Confident to make good decisions and responsive to change.
- Team-oriented and comfortable working in collaborative environment.
- Committed to health promotion and working for a non-profit.
- At ease working in a small office setting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Content development:
You will work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement IAMAT’s travel health strategic plan, including the following:
- Update IAMAT’s website daily with the latest infectious disease outbreaks.
- Write, edit, and publish a consumer guide for older travellers in collaboration with IAMAT partners.
- Research, write, and edit content for IAMAT’s online country health information database.
- Research, write, edit, and publish materials such as tip sheets, whitepapers, and guides for travellers.
- Set an editorial calendar for updating and developing IAMAT’s print and digital health materials.
- Assist the Marketing and Communications Specialist in planning, writing, and editing health content for IAMAT’s Blog.
- Read and gather data from scientific and medical literature (ie. scientific papers, journals, newspapers, magazines, press releases, internet resources, and social media posts) to track the latest developments in travel medicine.
- Program support:
You will work closely with the Executive Director to support travel health program goals.
- Assist in planning research projects related to travel health with IAMAT partners; assist in grant writing.
- Ensure that all health communication activities are evidence-based and use accepted principles, methods, and practices.
- Evaluate IAMAT’s travel health strategic plan to measure impact and health outcomes, and adjust as needed.
- Work with IAMAT’s Marketing and Communications Specialist to analyze, identify issues, and recommend course of action to enhance IAMAT’s travel health promotion efforts for greater impact.
- Supportive functions:
- Attend weekly staff meetings to report on progress and participate in work plan discussions.
- Participate in setting performance goals and performance review check-ins.
- Carry out other specific projects determined collaboratively by staff, including the ability to respond to urgent issues that may arise from time to time.
- Degree, diploma, or certificate in health communications, health promotion, journalism, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to write clearly, concisely and persuasively for the general public; excellent command of grammar, usage, and tone.
- Strong Internet and literature research capabilities; sound knowledge of the medical and scientific research landscape.
- Experience writing compelling and effective health articles or health promotion materials.
- Demonstrated critical thinking; ability to understand complex medical and scientific ideas and data, and parsing information relevant to the general public.
- Good keyboard skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, WordPress, Adobe, and website editing tools; good eye for publishing/design.
- Impeccable organizational and time management skills; ability to remain focused and stay on deadline when working under competing priorities.
- Bilingual in French or Spanish or another language.
- Previous travel experience is an asset.
- Full-time, renewable one-year contract. We are currently investigating a benefits package for our employees.
- Salary: $33,700
- Start date: February 2017
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume, and 3-5 samples of your writing (one of which is related to health) to email@example.com with ‘Health Writer and Research Specialist’ in the subject line.
Closing Date: January 23, 2017
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. IAMAT is an equal opportunity employer.